"The Senate Intelligence Committee approved legislation Thursday that would place new controls on the Bush administration's warrantless surveillance program, but includes provisions sought by the White House to protect telecommunications companies from lawsuits for aiding the government spying effort" (Miller). This new legislation will let a special federalized court have more authority to overlook the practices that the Bush administation is using to target terrorists. The previous legislation allows the NSA (who listens to electronic communications around the world) the ability to monitor conversations between the United States and someone outside of the country without a warrant. However, this new legislation would require a warrant that requires the government to get governmental authority when an American is targeted overseas.
I believe that this legislation was a good choice for the Senate Intelligence Committee. I do not believe that the government should be allowed to listen to calls without a warrant or use them later without a warrant because it is a violation of privacy. However, this practice has been helping us, but I still think that there should be more rights for the citizens. This legislation will make this practice more legal for the government and will stop the questions on President Bush's practices.
For more information on the legislation please read Greg Miller's article on the Los Angeles Times Website: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-fisa19oct19,1,4939644.story?coll=la-news-politics-national&ctrack=7&cset=true
Friday, October 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with the Senate Intelligence Committee’s decision to restrict the Bush administration’s surveillance practices. When the news of these surveillance issues were first uncovered, I felt like the government was infringing upon my privacy and any other citizen’s privacy. I actually do not feel like the restrictions on the surveillance policies are harsh enough because the government can still monitor people who are within the country’s borders without a warrant. Also, the telecommunication companies should not be protected from law suits because people pay companies and sometimes sign contracts for their phone or other communication services, and allowing the government to manipulate these services for its program is not part of these payments.
Post a Comment