Thursday, December 13, 2007

So, Iran Doesn't Have Nuclear Weapons?

There was no need for Bush, Cheney, and Israel to be frightened about Iran’s nuclear weapons. This was because “in fall 2003, Tehran halted its nuclear weapons program” (Powers). This means that the American intelligence community has no need to be worried or to attack Iran at all. However, this is a very complicated piece of intelligence because “Who pressed to declassify these highly inconvenient findings?” (Powers). The president did receive these findings but when he was briefed on it he did not know whether to let it emerge over days or weeks or declassify these findings. Basically, the president decided to declassify these findings, but the editorialist believes that this also shows that the “White House has lost control over American intelligence” (Powers). Everyone believes that the Iranians stopped the bomb-design program during the easy part, not during the hard part which is when the fissionable material is needed and used. However, this is what “Iran is doing with its ongoing centrifuge program to enrich natural uranium” (Powers). Many believe that Iran will be able to make a nuclear bomb in less than ten years, which is a huge threat to Israel. “Israel dreads the difficulties of every sort promised by an Iranian bomb and has been hoping that the Bush administration was going to shut down the possibility once and for all. The new NIE intelligence estimate kills that hope” (Powers). The American intelligence says that there is no nuclear bomb program, which means that there is no way that the United States can begin a new war.

This is very exciting, but very frightening at the same time. This is exciting because these reports mean that there is no possible way that we will be able to go in to Iran and start a war. However, I am very skeptical of these reports because it seems as if they have come out of nowhere. If Iran has not had a nuclear weapon program since 2003, why have we all been so frightened? This is very good report that Iran does not have a nuclear weapon program, but I am not sure if I really trust this. How do we know that this report is not false and that Iran is working on material that could be made into a nuclear bomb. All I hope is that Iran is not making nuclear weapons, therefore we will neither attack them nor will they attack Israel. I just hope that our intelligence agencies are proving to be intelligent at this crucial time.

For More Information Read Thomas Powers' article: http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/sunday/commentary/la-op-powers9dec09,1,3609512.story

4 comments:

Eric Velasco said...

I agree that it is kind of scary that the government has known about this and yet never really addressed it, or they didn't know at all I'm not really sure which one. Both are scary. If it's the first, I'm ashamed of the way the manipulated Iran to scare us all these years.

Anonymous said...

And what do you think of Obadiah Shoher's arguments against the peace process ( samsonblinded.org/blog/we-need-a-respite-from-peace.htm )?

DNuz aka Cash said...

I thought that we knew that Iraq didnt have nuclear weapons a long time ago. However, i agree with what you are saying on the matter. it is scary that the government is so involved about this and does not want to tell the american population what is going on, but they should which sort of pisses me off.

Rachel S said...

I agree with Jim, i think that the public needs to be informed on these matters. Yes, i think that a lot of stuff should be confidential information, but the people are America so we need to know what is going on, especially when it is such a huge deal.